Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > Tumor - better have an operation or not?

JulyMary

Hello,

My friend's hamster has a swelling on her belly. My friend went to the vet and the vet said it is a tumor. She can have an operation, but the vet said that it is the risk that the hamster can die because of the anesthezy. My friend has to decide untill Monday if  the hamster is going to have the operation or not.

What do you think it is better, to operate the hamster, or to let it live like this? How high are the risks of the hamster to die at the anesthezy? Had anyone been in a similar situation?

April 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CSW

Anesthesia can be hard on the heart.  Generally the older the hamster, the more risk with surgery.  Our winter white hamster developed a tumor at the age of 1 year + 9 months.  Our vet told us that surgery was too risky.  She lived for another 4 months before the tumor took its toll but she had a good long life.

--

--  Chris

April 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Loki Wolf

How old is the hamster? Like CSW said, the older the hamster the more risk surgery is. Is this hamster a robo, a different type of dwarf, a chinese, or a Syrian? Syrians handle surgery the best due to their size and the risk is slightly lower as they have a bigger heart than a dwarf or chinese. Dwarfs and Chinese have a harder time and not all vets will preform surgery on them due to their small size and how high the risk of death from anesthesia is in them.

Also take note of the quality of the hamster's life if the surgery is done or not. Is this a painful type of tumor or a nonpainful one? If the surgery is done there will be pain no matter if the tumor was painful or not. If your friend decides not to do the surgery, she may have to make the painful choice of deciding to put the hamster to sleep if the tumor is too painful or sometime in the future when the hamster is suffering too much.

April 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JulyMary

Thank you very much for your answers!

She is 11 months old, and she is a roborovski (she is the daughter of my hamsters, I gave her to my friend).

The tumor is not painful, she is playing and has a lot of energy, as if it is nothing wrong.

April 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Loki Wolf

Hmm.. This is tricky as 11 months is not too old, but she's not a young hamster either. The risk is higher since she isn't a young hamster, but not as high as she would be if she was older. It's really a gamble.

If your friend has the money for the surgery, they can go for it but needs to be aware that the hamster could die during surgery or after if they don't come out of the anesthesia or have a reaction to it later. And also be aware that the tumor may regrow after surgery. If your friend decides not to have the surgery done, there is many possible ways it could turn out. For one thing, the hamster will need to be monitored a lot more and if something is irritating the tumor, it needs to be removed. How long a hamster with a tumor has left is really unknown, they could live a few more weeks or for some more months before they finally pass. Also if the tumor grows bigger and starts pressing on needed organs, it could be a slow and painful death. These and more are all things you friend needs to think about when they make their choice. It is not a simple choice and should not be taken lightly, the hamster's quality of life should always be number one factor in your friend's final choice.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but this is a choice only an owner can make.

April 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pandas

You have to decide of the quality of life. If she seems ok, you can let her go on without surgery. If it seems painful, then you may have to get it taken for surgery. As Loki wolf said - its a choice only an owner can make. Im so sorry about this situation.

--

My hamsters Popcorn, Peanut, Chestnut, Patches.

My hamsters, Dogs, Chickens, goldfish and hand reared calf   are awesome!!!

R.I.P. Popcorn.

Please check out my youtube channel and subscribe for everything about animals!!! Hhere is the link:   http://www.youtube.com/user/Sammyanimals21

April 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JulyMary

Thanks a lot for all the help!

My friend decided that the hamster would better not have the operation, her life now is as it was before the tumor, it doesn't seem to affect her.

April 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Loki Wolf

Your welcome. I hope the little girl will be around for some more months before she has to go. Could you give us updates on your friend's hamster from time to time?

April 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JulyMary

Sure :) I hope I will have good news about her.

April 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JulyMary

So I just spoke with my friend, she said that the tumor is now getting purple, it was light red before, and the size is the same. It this a good or a bad sign? Can the tumor affect other organs?

Is it possible the tumor to retract?

April 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GuyHam

That is a bad sign... it sounds like it is getting ready to rupture. If it does rupture all of the bacteria can get in to the hamster's blood stream (sepsis) causing him to die a slow painful death. I would suggest that your friend take this hamster as soon as they can to a exotics capable vet to have the tumor removed.

April 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pandas

Oh no! Hope it is ok!

--

My hamsters Popcorn, Peanut, Chestnut, Patches.

My hamsters, Dogs, Chickens, goldfish and hand reared calf   are awesome!!!

R.I.P. Popcorn.

Please check out my youtube channel and subscribe for everything about animals!!! Hhere is the link:   http://www.youtube.com/user/Sammyanimals21

April 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

iloverobos

What happened is she still alive?

November 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

iloverobos

What happened is she still alive?

November 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.