Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > seizure!!!

roboluva

Hi i put up a post this morning on how i found my hamster on his back spinning and shaking his legs and when i put him on his feet he would fall down again. well i called the vet as soon as they opened and brought him in he was having a servere seizure, the vet is keeping him for a couple hours and gave him some valuim but she said i should perpare my self for the worst i had to sign the papers to have him put down :( they are going to try everything they can to help him though. i love my robo hamsters but i dont under stand why they have so many problems i only got them mid September. does or has anyone else have these problems with their robos. this is my second one i (might) have to put down this is very heart breaking :| i have three more at home and i dont want anymore sudden illness to happen. all i can do now is pray my Dennis can be cured:(

--

<3 Charlie<3 and a crazy Gerbil LOco!!!

RIP:Mac(10/16/10),Dennis(12/13/10),Pumpkin (11/19/11) Coco(summer of 2012)

<3I will forever love my Babys <3

December 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

My sypathies. Hamsters can catch several different illness's (see health and genetics). Some of these are life threatening. Seizures might point to an injury while running on the wheel. Keep your head up, the Vets will do everything they can. If its an illness he may have a chance. -Sam

December 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

Also, clean all the cages and surround area immediately. Are they next to a heating vent/open window. Anywhere spores/airborne illness can reach them.

December 13, 2010 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ernin

I'm so sorry for your situation. I know what it feels like because I put my hamster out of her misery last month by putting her down. I hope they can help him. Good Luck. I'm praying for you and Dennis.

--

<3 Rest in peace Tulip. 11/9/10

I love my Russian Dwarf, Derby!  (:

December 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

update on dennis he was put down this after noon i guess they couldnt do anything for him :( now iam worried about charlie the only on left from that litter of three. i have Coco and Pumkin from another litter. i talked to a co worker who brought her hamster from the same place (Petsmart) and it died a month after she bought him, i think it is very odd dont you think? i will never buy another animal or anything for that matter from petsmart ever again.

I also did clean the cage right away but it isnt near any of that. i am very careful with my babys, im very worried about my others now :(

--

December 13, 2010 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

RIP young hammy. Genetics could very well be a factor in what happened to your hammy, in which case it is untreatable. The only other thing i could think of would be illness. Didn't the vet give you any answers?

December 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

the vet said it was a seizure and it could be birth defects like a brain tumors, or some kind of trauma but he was in the cage alone and there were no levels its a tank..... now im worried about his brother charlie because he is acting funny and is slow and off balance tonight i hope its because he is tired but i dont know. i hope it wasnt the treats i bought them last night. i bought them wood stick chews from petsmart.

--

December 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

I give my hamsters apple wood sticks, dont think thats it. Did you switch bedding? I wouldn't stress about your other hamsters, its something you cant change so enjoy your time with them wether its one month or 4 years

December 13, 2010 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

thats what i bought them apple wood sticks, i use carefresh (everysince i got them). Charlie came out last night and was acting fine and is now sleeping. i feel bad because he injured his leg a couple days ago and i had to take away his wheel and he has nothing but a couple of tubes to run thru and chews. I feel so bad he has had bad luck since we got him, now he has no brothers.

--

December 14, 2010 at 6:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

She

you put him down for seizure?? They dont die of it, its like fits that human being also may have, and its not contagious, it comes and goes, my hamster had it, and they lasted 30-45 seconds each time and she got back to normal afterwards, yours never got back to normal after having the seizure????

Cause if he kept being like that for hourse it must have been something else and not a seizure.

Dont put and animal down for seizure, never ever, and remember ITS NOT CONTAGIOUS.

--
  • RIP CUCHI, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
December 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

he was having the seizure for a couple hours. i woke up at 8am and called the vet at 9am when they opened i brought him in at 9:45 am. the vet said they were going to do everything they could to stop them they were giving him valium and i guess he wouldnt come out of it the vet called me at 12pm telling me he wasnt improveing and said the humaine thing to do was to put him down :( it was a horrible seizure he was on his back shaking voilently the vet said it was probably because of a brain tumor...

I would never put down my animals if there was no reason for it. please dont make me feel like i did the wrong thing iam suffering enough over this whole thing i did what i thought i was suppose to do i brought him to the vet, and she told me she was going to try everything she could and unfortunetlly Dennis didnt come out of it. i love my animals and would do anything to save them:(

--

December 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ernin

In my opinion, roboluva did the right thing. Don't you think the seizure was painful? It's not like he just spazzed to get energy out. I would hate for my furball to be in pain or suffer. The vet did everthing they could and if it can't be fixed why would you want to keep the hamster in pain? Roboluva, don't feel bad. Dennis is in a better place now. I'm sorry for your loss.

--

<3 Rest in peace Tulip. 11/9/10

I love my Russian Dwarf, Derby!  (:

December 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hamsterluva

Dont be mad at roboluva! She did the right thing, and if humans can die from seizures and have it last for hours, then a tiny little hamster can too. Some teenager had a seizure in my backyard, so my moms boyfriend had to help him by giving water, wiping him with a wet towel and roll him on his side. If they have a siezure too long, ther tongue can roll back and choke them until they either die or stop having the seizure. If you roll them on their side then thaat cant happen. But their are also different types of siezures, so maybe your hamster just had a different kind of siezure that wasnt as serious. Im not trying to be mean or rude, im just saying.

--

I love my Robo Mini <3

R.I.P. NoName, Harry, Katie, and Nibbles my special hammies. You will always have a special place in my heart.

Join my website at http://www.roboloco.webs.com!

And iheartdewey's website at http://www.heartthehamster.webs.com!

December 14, 2010 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

Ernin, seizures aren't painful. It's just when your brain's nerves just kind of collapse, and you're in a trance.

Shideh, probably the reason that the doctor did it was because of the CAUSE of the seizure, not the seizure itself. But I disagree on one point, as many animals die of having just one long seizure. (sometimes can be days long) And then there's nothing you can do but put them to sleep, which is what I think happened. Don't be so harsh with Roboluva, as she's probably very upset about what happened, kind of like how you felt when Cuchi died... :(

Roboluva, I'm sorry for your loss! I think you did the right thing, though, by putting him out of his misery.

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
December 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

thank you all for your sympathys, Shideh i do understand your point but i do swear to you i did everything i could to help Dennis. I have a very compationate vet who truely does all she can for all sick animals. she puts them down as a last resort. you all have been great support, i guess all i can do is continue to love and take care of my Charlie, Pumkin, and Coco. though i am very concerned about Charlies well being becuase both of his siblings have now died from similiar problem. pumkin and coco are from another litter and seem to be very healthy so far.

--

December 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

zombiecharl

Im sorry for your loss. The vets had to put my dwarf hamster abyss down (about a year and a half ago), he had a big tumor on his back and the vet said it would grow bigger and bigger. Its one of the hardest things to do letting a pet go. You done the right thing for your hamster.

--

.zombiecharl.

Cohen

Zelda

R.I.P: Hixxy, Abyss, Sabin & Shelley, Roxi. :(

December 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

She

Nver feel bad about an irreversible decision, wether others approve it or not, its over. Whats the benefit ?

second : Seizurs dont hurt and they are not contagious, and what i said above was a seizure that lasts HOURS is not a seizure, and as the vet said most probably the cause was something more serious like a brain cancer or tumor.

So you did the right thing to put him down.

No one puts an animal to sleep for fits, and they normally dont die, like human beings normally dont die ( of course some do, but not a big deal ). They can live a normal life with it .

--
  • RIP CUCHI, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
December 16, 2010 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

Dennis was the second one i had to put down from this litter, i brought three all together, a month after we got them Mac ( Dennis brother) some how broke his spine and had to be put down they think it was also from some kind of seizure but we are not positive i found him on his spinner with his legs dragging behind him, I rushed him to the animal hospital were they told me it was his spine :( they said he either had a seizure while running on his spinner of flipped of the wrong way but i dont know how he got back on his spinner with a broken spine if he flug off. I am beginning to think i got a litter with defect of some sort. I brought them from Petsmart and recently learned where they get there hamster from. i guess they go with a breeding mill called rambow exotics ( like a puppy mill), ive known other people who have brought hamster from petsmart and they have died a month later its very sad. I will never buy from a big chain again. I really love my robos and pray the remander stay healthy. Charlie the last one from that litter is doing well as far as i can tell but i worrie because he is a white face and i hear they can have more health problems than the agnoti robos. My other two Pumkin and Coco are from another litter and they seem to be doing fine other then the fact i had to separate them today because Coco bit Punkins butt :( im hoping they can reunite after it heals they are still in the same tank i just have a separater up. well all i can do is love them and give them the best life i can.

--

December 16, 2010 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Heart Minkus

i know how it feels. My dog Duke, got lose. And our neighbors next door had thes nasty dogs, who had rabies and all gross stuff  like mites. And Duke got into there yard and there dog attacked him. And duke had Cancer and the rabies got into the cancer..................   The next day we had to put him down. He was only 4 years old.  I know how it feels to lose something close to you. Duke was the only dog i ever had that was attached to ME not my Mom or my brother. ME. And of course he is the one to die early.

--

December 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.