Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > Help me.. is my hamster sick?

HamstaLuver233

Please help...

My hamster for the past 2 days has been in his cage not moving but hes breathing.

He's a long haired teddybear hammie. The first couple days his eye was

watery. Then one eye was closed after that. The next day both of his eyes were closed.

I fed him lettuce. He seems to enjoy it when i got him at first. Then after that he started to sleep without waking up, for the past days. Should i take hime to the vet? Or is he sick?

Please reply.. Thanks:)

December 12, 2010 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

If ever you fear your hamsters life may be in danger then take it to the vet. Hamsters can temporarily hiberanate due to changes in temperature. It sounds like your hammys sick, understand a sickness can lead to death. Better 2 be safe than sorry, a checkup never hurts anyway. goodluck!

December 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pawlove

it seem that his eyes is infected or hurt... if you have time bring him to a vet. for the time being, you can give him a little eye drop and rub this very gently on his closed eyes.

--

December 13, 2010 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SDJ

I would refrain from giving a hamster eye drops meant for humans. They are 10x fold more sensitive to chemicals then humans. Unless you know what chemicals are in the eyedrops and their effects i wouldn't give it to your hamster. Not good advice

December 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pawlove

Well a friend of mine used it on her hammie and i think there was a topic like this in this site.. there are people recommending this as well. Let me find that topic and post a link.

--

December 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pawlove

oh found the topic

http://roborovskihamsters.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/3567586-eyes-closed

--

December 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

Yes, eye drops would maybe do the trick, but it could be infected too far to do much good, now, so the vet's office may be a must.

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
December 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

She

His most probably having an eye infection or a chil, he need to visisted by a vet of course if you act quick ! cause 2 days not moving is no good.

If you can buy an antibiotic in some petshop, look for Baytril which is the most common hamster safe antibiotic, and give him a drop every 12 hourse for 5 days, and all the infections will clear up in a few days, Baytril NORMALLY need prescroption by a vet, i would take him to vet asap anyway, if i were you...

--
  • RIP CUCHI, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
December 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

HamstaLuver233

yea thx guys... but we didnt no if he was sick. He had a cold. Also, yesterday when i came back from school... he died..:( its ok tho .. thx again.. R.I.P Chester

December 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pawlove

so sorry to hear that :( RIP dear Chester

--

December 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

roboluva

sorry hamstaluver :(

--

<3 Charlie<3 and a crazy Gerbil LOco!!!

RIP:Mac(10/16/10),Dennis(12/13/10),Pumpkin (11/19/11) Coco(summer of 2012)

<3I will forever love my Babys <3

December 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

HamstaLuver233

thx for the advice everyone.... He was a good hammie tho...:D

December 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.