Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > Red Chest

Liz

Hello all,

I have two females, sisters, and they are about 3 months old. One sister is bigger than the other, but when I was putting them in their balls I noticed the larger one has lost fur on her chest and her skin there is red. It looks more like it was rubbed off than an attack, and since she is the larger one I don't really suspect fighting. Neither of them are skittish and I haven't noticed any non-play fighting. Does this sound like a fight wound, or does anyone know of a disease or something that could have caused this? Should I separate them? Or is it just her climbing her little shack a lot?

Thanks everyone,

Liz

August 14, 2010 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Weaver

She may have caught herself and made it worse by scratching it, or she may have had a reaction to something, have you changed the bedding or anything? A phone call to a vet might shed some light on the problem.

Fur loss can be a dietary problem though I doubt it in this case, are they getting a balanced diet?

--

A DEEP THINKER WITH A SHALLOW MIND

August 14, 2010 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz

I'm using the carefresh natural bedding, and I just changed it two days ago. I'm using two different dry foods for hamsters. My vet's not open till Monday, so I'll watch her for a few days and see if its getting better and call if its not. Thank you.

August 14, 2010 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

grace_

hmm, yes it could be an irritated cut. Did you have them for three months? Or did the place where you got them say they where three months? Cause hamsters lose fur when they are old. It does sound like a fighting wound, but from they way you are pointing things out, it looks like you see no fighting. It could be wrong balanced diet maybe. Call the vet they might have an answer, but vets usually don't know much about small animals. 

--

August 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

She

A fighting wound would never end up in fur loss, and red skin. If there's no SCAR, then its not a fight wound, and have you changed the bedding two days ago? you mean u changed it to a NEW METERIAL or just changed the old bedding but same material as before?

It looks like an alergy. you said you changed the food? go back to the previos food for a while, it doesnt grow back immediately though anyway. 

Spot hair loss is due to scratching generally. The reason why shes scratching should be you major preocupation:

1-it maybe alergy de to food and bedding.

2-it may be due to mites or fungus.

3- it may be due to lumps or cysts, cause before they grow big enough to be visisble the hamster starts scratching the spot, which ends up to fur loss in that part.

I would suggest waiting a while and keeping a close eye, to see if things get better or worst, if its an alergy then you have to go back to previous food and bedding, fungs normally dont grow on chest, bt mites are a possibility as well, you can buy Ivermectin or Selamectin-Strong hold small dosis ( look for more information online and call a vet for how to apply before use) and apply them, they do no harm in case there are no mites, but if there is, the mites will be removed withing days.

For cysts and tumors ( i really hope thats not the case) theres no remedy apart from surgery.

--
  • RIP CUCHI, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
August 14, 2010 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz

Man, I really hope it's not a tumor or anything like that! There's definitely no scar. I got them from a friend of mine whose new hamster was pregnant, so they're three months old. I just changed the old bedding, this isn't new material. I'll switch back to the old food just in case, but come to think of it I got back from a camping trip a few weeks ago and I may have brought back mites or something with me. I'll go to the pet store and find something to help tomorrow.

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it!!! :)

August 15, 2010 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

She

Fingers crossed.

--
August 15, 2010 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz

Here's a picture, it's not very good quality but you can see her chest is red. I went to the pet store and they said they didn't have any mite treatments, but I was looking at some homemade ones online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with those?

Also, I talked to my friend and she said their mother has a tumor on her chest, but my hamster is only 3 months old so I don't think it would show up this early... :/

August 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MrsFish

Hi it sounds like it could be Acariasis:-this is a skin condition caused by the Demodex mite.There are 2 kinds of mite Demodex aurati & criceti ok.These affect the hamsters fur at the base of the root,and can stay there and go un-noticed,but young ,old and hamsters with a weakened immune system are allergic to them hance itching ,red skin and fur loss ok.This will need treatment from the vets called Invermectin.

The home remedy that I know works is :-

1pt of cooled boiled water,

1tablespoon of Witchhazel,

1tablespoon of Listerine mouthwash(unflavoured/coloured)

mix & put into a vapourizer and spray affected area lightly be sure to protect face/eyes.Use untill improvement is noticed ok.You can supplement her diet with added Vit-A+D,and put some cod-liver oil on your fingertip and let her lick it off...these will encourage new fur growth.Pure Aloe vera gel will sooth skin aswell.

Hope this helps you and your little girly wishes  Tracy:)

--

Mrs Fish

Please remember "1photo" per album rule guys ok...:D.

August 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

As you've said there's been no cage issues with fighting so it will be more likely issues mentioned above, however, when biting occurs when robo's fight, often chunks of fur can be ripped off!

Mentioned above---Someone said about fur loss wouldn't be caused by fighting-Not fur loss as in a problem making a robo lose it's fur, but fur could be missing due to fighting! :)

--

Robo Love...:)     Moderator...:)

August 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MrsFish

Hi do you know that last night I was playing with Robbie and Rosie and Just out of interest I checked their chest ares under their chin and they have very little or a fine covering of hair thier too ...bearing in mind they both are fit & well...  hhmmm ...Tracy:/

--

Mrs Fish

August 19, 2010 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz

Thank you everyone! Mrs. Fish, I will try that treatment. Thanks so much!

August 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liz

Maybe I was too quick in ruling out fighting. I sat there and watched them for a good 45 minutes tonight, and they seemed fine initially again. After a little while they went up to each other and did their usual fisticuffs routine, but then I saw the little one, Ginger, flip over the larger one, Cinnamon, (the one with the red chest) and start kind of scratching her. Cinnamon didn't squeak or anything, but this happened a few times. Then a bit later Ginger jumped on Cinnamon from her wheel, I don't know if it was surprise or it hurt or whatever, but then Cinnamon squeaked! I panicked and I put up a quick divider in the cage. Still no scabs or anything on my red-chested lady, but I'm not sure if I should keep them separated or what.

The thing is that Cinnamon is still the one that's most receptive to me coming over to pet her or hold her. She doesn't run away from Ginger. I'm not really sure what's going on.

I'm still going to try the mite spray, though.

August 20, 2010 at 2:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MrsFish

Hhmm they do have these fisticuffs and sometimes can just become a touch rougher,though not neccessarily come to anything (fingers X).My girls often fling themselves out of their wheels and land on each other catching the other out lol,but yes keep an eye open and follow your instincts if things do seem/appear to be more tense between them ok.As all our hammys are different and we could suggest this -that & the other but you see & live with them and know them ok.Im pleased I was able to help with the mites?,if it is that maybe ?  Tracy:)

--

Mrs Fish

August 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

She

I still think its mites, but once a vet had strange opinion about one of my hamsters fur loss on chest area, ( My hamster was a fatty ) she opined that she robbed her chest against her wheel a lot due to  overweight.

Which i didnt believe to be true (!) and applyed a drop of stong-hold on that hammi which  is a FANTATIC product for mites, and her fur grew back !! But... just to let you know there's another possiblity which is what the vet said !!

--
August 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dukeslady

sorry have not read through all replies, but have to agree it is more likely to be mites or an allergy to bedding.

Hope problem has been sorted now though,

--

Do some research before you buy any pet !

Use the Search Feature on site to get results quickly ! 

Also please follow the sites "one photo per album" rule.

August 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.