Forums

Forum Home > General questions concerning your hamster > alergic to hamsters

whitedog

ok so i went to my doctors today and they said to me that im alergi to my little fury friends

getting rid of them is not an option!!!!

i love them 2 much had them 3 weeks now

does anyone els have any alergies towards them or if anyone can place me tips it would be gr8ful :D

--

Cookie + Munchie(proud parent of 6-4=2)

Making a Dedicated site on Gerbils but could do with some Gerbil Fans help if you would like to help email me at

marcus@gerbils.whostas.com

or join the Forum

http://gerbils.whostas.com/mybb/index.php

March 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rainbowrobyn

I'm not allergic to them but I am studying nursing. The best thing I would suggest if you are not going to get rid of them is to wash your hands ALWAYS straight after you have handled them. Also, use a lot of cream. E45 is always a good option. But then this would entirely depend on how severe your allergy is, if it quite severe then you should probably consider in re homing your hammmies to somewhere that you may still see them? Because if your allergy is quite bad you could be putting yourself at a great risk. Even if someone else in the family looks after them and handles them? Some people don't take their allergies seriously which can cause major problems in the not so distant future. IF it is just a mild allergy to hamsters, you could just make it worse to the point were touching them could really harm you.

If you are set in keeping them and being the sole carer for them, just be careful and aware of the risks you are taking. Clean your hands straight after handling, clean them thoroughly and use hand cream as well.

--
Two Wonderful Robo's ~ Zanga and Ngozi
One Awesome Hybrid Russian ~ Pistachio
And One Fantastic Syrian ~ Frodo

R.I.P Edward, Beautiful Black Russian. September 2008 ~ March 2010
R.I.P Samwise, An Amazing Long Coated Syrian June 2010 ~ September 2010
March 31, 2010 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitedog

rainbowrobyn at 01:11PM on Mar 31, 2010

I'm not allergic to them but I am studying nursing. The best thing I would suggest if you are not going to get rid of them is to wash your hands ALWAYS straight after you have handled them. Also, use a lot of cream. E45 is always a good option. But then this would entirely depend on how severe your allergy is, if it quite severe then you should probably consider in re homing your hammmies to somewhere that you may still see them? Because if your allergy is quite bad you could be putting yourself at a great risk. Even if someone else in the family looks after them and handles them? Some people don't take their allergies seriously which can cause major problems in the not so distant future. IF it is just a mild allergy to hamsters, you could just make it worse to the point were touching them could really harm you.

If you are set in keeping them and being the sole carer for them, just be careful and aware of the risks you are taking. Clean your hands straight after handling, clean them thoroughly and use hand cream as well.

thanks and it`s not to bad i got given cream for the redness of the insid eof my nose and some nasal spray app it`s there fur or somthing

--

Making a Dedicated site on Gerbils but could do with some Gerbil Fans help if you would like to help email me at

or join the Forum

March 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LuvMyRobo&Chinese

I highly admire you for keeping your robos if you are allergic to them. That is a hard thing to go through.

March 31, 2010 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rainbowrobyn

whitedog at 02:23PM on Mar 31, 2010

rainbowrobyn at 01:11PM on Mar 31, 2010

thanks and it`s not to bad i got given cream for the redness of the insid eof my nose and some nasal spray app it`s there fur or somthing

Hey there, that's quite alright! :)

The only other things that I can think of at the moment, is try and limit the direct contact you have with the hamsters. Make sure that you use rubber gloves when cleaning their cage.

Also, if the cage is kept in your room, move it out! Move the cage to another room :) this should also help a little bit.

If I can think of anything else I shall post it right away!

--
Two Wonderful Robo's ~ Zanga and Ngozi
One Awesome Hybrid Russian ~ Pistachio
And One Fantastic Syrian ~ Frodo

R.I.P Edward, Beautiful Black Russian. September 2008 ~ March 2010
R.I.P Samwise, An Amazing Long Coated Syrian June 2010 ~ September 2010
March 31, 2010 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitedog

ok thanks guys

and i am thinking of moving it but not sure where lol

luvMYRobo : i would never beable to get rid of them in only 3 weeks i have come so attached to them :D

and it`s amazing how the community of this website are so lovly :)

--

or join the Forum

March 31, 2010 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Itsy&Bitsy'sMom

Hey Whitedog!  Being a CHRONIC allergy sufferer, I can totally help you out on this topic!!!  :-)  Sorry folks, but this is going to be a LONG post :lol:  There are MANY things you can try before finding a new home for your furbabies!  I'm glad to hear rehoming them isn't an option for you - ROBO LOVE!  :wink:

Ok, so I've had severe allergies for 20 YEARS.  Everything from red, itchy, watery eyes, to sneezing, congestion, and asthma attacks.  Luckily I've been okay with the hammies recently, but that wasn't always the case.  I'm also SEVERELY allergic to cats, rabbits, certain dogs, anything with fur really - and at one point I worked rescue and had 9 cats in my tiny one bedroom apartment :D  Yes, my love for animals greatly outweighs my suffering, LOL.  So here's what I suggest:

1- First off, what bedding/litter are you using?  From my experience, your issue might not be with the robos themselves, but could actually be the bedding.  Try something completely different - if you're using aspen, try carefresh (wood to paper).  Different manufacturers will also make a difference.  The bedding you're using might be treated with something that is triggering your symptoms.  TRY not to inhale any dust particles when changing the bedding.  Use a mask if necessary.

2- DEFINITELY wash your hands, A LOT!  Any time you've been around your robos, touched them, or their bedding, NEVER put your hands anywhere near your face (especially your eyes and nose, if you have an itch, wash your hands first!)

3- Do you have any kind of dust or sand bath for your robos?  This could also be the culprit of your allergies.  Just like the bedding, try switching brands or bath powders.

4- If the robos are in your bedroom, and all measures fail and you are still suffering, try to relocate them - but I would give it some time first unless your symptoms are unbearable.  Why is listed below.

5- Your allergies may actually PASS.  The human body is amazingly resilient - many people get allergy "shots" to boost up an immunity to the triggered allergen.  Just being around your robos on a daily basis, you COULD develop an eventual immunity to them where your allergies are concerned.  This can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, but it's definitely possible.  Of all the furbabies I have been allergic to, cats seem to be the worst for my personal allergies.  Every single animal is different - SO, each time I would have a new cat come into my home, it would take me anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for my severe allergy symptoms to subside - once my body got used to the new kitty dander, I was immune to that particular cat.  A few months later, a new foster kitty would come into the home, and the cycle would repeat itself.

6- allergy medications can help ease your suffering - over the counter here in the US, the most common ones are zyrtec, allegra, claritin, sudafed, and benadryl.  Some may make you drowsy (until your body gets used to taking it on a daily basis), others won't.  Each person is different, and if one medication doesn't work for you, switch and try another one.  Sometimes it can take a few weeks for the medication to take full effect.  Zyrtec works the best for me, the others do absolutely nothing to help my symptoms.  That's just my body though :wink: 

7- nasal allergy sprays - usually given with a prescription here in the US, some people report great relief from their allergies when using them.  Many can be combined with allergy pills as well for full effect.  Make sure your doctor knows all medications you are taking, including over the counter items, so he/she can prescribe the best one for you.  The key is finding what works best for you.

8- If or when you experience a severe flare up of allergy symptoms, take a full shower if possible, and get some fresh air outside.  If the shower isn't possible, wash your hands really well, and use some no tears baby shampoo on your eyelashes and eyelids, and nose,  and rinse well (do this with your eyes closed) - here in the US, Johnson's classic baby shampoo no more tears is perfect for this.  It sounds silly, but this actually works really well for many allergy triggers - from household dust and pet dander, to pollen, trees, and grass, you'll be surprised.  Combine this "washing" with immediately going outside for fresh air, and it should help alleviate your symptoms.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, but if anything else comes to mind, I'll be sure to add it :D

I hope this helps, keep me posted on how you make out with it!

April 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LuvMyRobo&Chinese

same here. My robo is like my kid and I would never give up my kid lol

April 1, 2010 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.