Forums

Forum Home > Reviews & Homemade projects > Quick and Easy Homemade Toys

char554

This is a list of all of the toy I have made for my hammies to use:

1. Swing - hang a tp tube with safe string about 1/2 inch off the floor of the cage

2. Tube T - cut a hole in the side of a long cardboard tube, and insert a tp tube, with no glue

3. Jumps - take popsicle sticks and glue them with nontoxic glue into little jumps, but DO NOT LEAVE IN CAGE UNSUPERVISED, to prevent them from chewing on the glue

4. Tube Hut - take a long cardboard tube, cut and glue with paper towel "Curtains" to make a cute nesting area

5. Tube Pyramid - Stack 3 tubes in a triangle and glue together

6. Box Building - Use a small cardboard box, and cut various entry holes into it, and put a little bedding in it if desired

--

RIP GINGER, YOU WILL BE MISSED!

I LOVE YOU COCO!!!

March 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hubii

There nice and cute :) Your hammies will love them ;)

--
Hope This Helps, Hubii
Official Retro Member & Moderator 

March 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hannah Jones
Site Owner

Awesome!

(Btw, if people want to add their own photos, here's the topic explaining how to add photos to forum replies). I've just re-written that topic from scratch. Hope that helps. :D

--

Nom...   Check...    The Store! > 

March 2, 2010 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ashley

here are my homemade projects the to on the left are peices of agility course beside that is like a tree house for a hamster beside that is a little house and beside that is a brige/house

--

R.I.P.  my betta fish Crush

feb. 1, 2009 - apr. 28, 2010

March 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ashley

and up above is a swing with a platform on the bottom

--

March 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mysty

i'll post mine after but i made some with wood tinkertoys and cardboard tubes, egg carton full of bedding, trimmed cardboard cupholders from fast food

March 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ashley
can anybody see my picture because i cant so im wondering if someone can
--

March 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dukeslady

i love making homemade toys, but the application of "Glue" worries me, even non toxic glue could cause problems.

I have used for a solution to this string or natural garden twine, if they do chew it, which is inevitable, it will not harm them.

It also gives a different challenge to the "human" on what to make and how to keep it together, but i think for the hamsters safety it is worth it.

--

Do some research before you buy any pet !

Use the Search Feature on site to get results quickly ! 

Also please follow the sites "one photo per album" rule.

March 3, 2010 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

char554

I think I may try the natural twine thing. In all of my creations I tried to keep the glue out of the areas they may chew but if they seem to be getting too close I will remove the toy.

Ashley, I can't see your pictue though I would love to!

--

I LOVE YOU COCO!!!

March 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hannah Jones
Site Owner

ashley at 08:55PM on Mar 02, 2010

can anybody see my picture because i cant so im wondering if someone can

Sorry, I can't see the picture! Did you follow the instructions on the Posting Pictures topic carefully?

--

Nom...   Check...    The Store! > 

March 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hubii

I also cannot see the pictures. And that garden string is an awesome idea!

I found this site with ways to make glue. No seem harmful, as all the ingredients are not harmful, and its a family website, the glue being made for toddlers. Check it out at

http://fun.familyeducation.com/crafts/toddler/37042.html

--
Hope This Helps, Hubii
Official Retro Member & Moderator 

March 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

char554

The homemade glue sounds great and I may try it out. We just got a call from Petsmart and they said we can go tonight to pick out the ones I want but they won't be ready until Saturday to pick up! I am soooooooooooo excited!!!

--

I LOVE YOU COCO!!!

March 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mia

Does your hamster actually use the swing as a swing or just to perch on? Is it used often? I see Thin Mints are more than just good cookies :D.

I have a CritterTrail so the mid-section walls are wires. I threaded fabric that I cut from a throw towel across the the cage and threaded them through the wires to secure it. My little guy does not hang out on it at all. Sometimes I sprinkle some food on it and that's the only time he goes onto it, to collect the food.

If you haven't tried, I use small cups and soup bowls (the cafeteria/resturant To-Go kinds). That way you can clean and wash them a few times without destroying as opposed to cardboard.

--

March 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hammiemom

Great ideas, Char!

--

*~* Rach *~*

March 3, 2010 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ashley

on the top is a swing with a platform from the left over: peices of agility course, what seems like a hamster jungle gym, a little house, than a bridge/house thing. this was all made out of popsicle sticks.more to come soon

--

March 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

char554

I love the little hamster "fort" and may try to make one of these. What kind of glue did you use?

--

I LOVE YOU COCO!!!

March 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

babybrittneyx

double awsome

March 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WindeSpirit

That glue does sound interesting to try. Probably best for anyone to still use it in minimal amounts as I'm sure the cornstarch and corn syrup is not good for them. Think I'll give it a try and perhaps use a bit of lemon juice in with the water.

I've also done the swing with a cotton string, the string I soaked in lemon juice before using, seems to keep them from wanting to chew on it. It's working for the gerbil bridges also :)

--

Forever In Our Hearts they live on

Sewing 4 A Cause 

www.windespirit.com

March 9, 2010 at 1:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ashley

i used elmers nontoxic glue though it did take a while to dry but thats ok

--

March 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Little Buddy

Great ideas!  And I love that you used a Thin Mint box...cool.

March 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.