Forums

Forum Home > General hamster questions > Sticky: Hamster Training tips

Dukeslady

By request and as there seems to be a lot of questions repeated about traning, I am starting this topic the same as the Hamster Hunting.

Same idea as before, put you best tip for traing a hamster, if the tip has been posted before please don't repeat, this way we wont waste space and will be easier for everyone to read.

May I also remind everyone to read the section, on site, this thread is just for a few extra tips that members have used and had success with.

--

Do some research before you buy any pet !

Use the Search Feature on site to get results quickly ! 

Also please follow the sites "one photo per album" rule.

January 21, 2010 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky 22

When the robo is eating put your hand next to her, don't try to scoop her up yet. But your hand being near her will help her get used to you. If she doesn't run away after you've done this a few times then you can start gently stroking her, but not too much in one go and so softly that she might not feel it - but don't make her jump!

The bath, the stairs, the furniture and small animal playpens are good places for play-training.

When you first take the hamster out if she is skittish then put her in the ball to burn off some energy, although this might put her into a more energetic mood, always try to hold her first.

Stroking and having your hand in the cage is the best way to get her used to you. Put your hand just under the surface of the wood shavings, so the hamster can sort of smell you but doesn't have to run over your soft, warm hand.

Let her run from hand to hand, but try and keep her on cupped hands to start with, so she stays calm and secure. If she tries to jump off or run up your arm put her in the ball or back into her cage.

Hope this helps!

Becky.

--

One Photo Per Album Please :)

Try to post topics in the appropriate section, and please use appropriate titles. "Please help" is not a very informative title. Specify the problem in the title.

Hope you enjoy the site!

014.JPG

January 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shane

What tips do you have for scent control ?

do you recommend washing your hands before trying to handle them or do you feel this doesnt make any difference. I tend to wash my hands using the sawdust in the bottom of the cage to ensure i have they scent on my hands.

plus i feel that because im the only one that cleans them out and feeds them, this also helps them get use to my scent as well. and it seems to work for me ive yet to be bite by any of them by doing this.

so thats my top tip for introducing them to your scent...

January 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky 22

Don't wash your hands, the smell of soap is too strong and can be dangerous if breathed in. Also, when you wash your hands you lose the natural body heat and your skin will feel strange to the hamster.

Providing that your hands are clean just washing them in wood shavings or sieving your hands through hamster food is all you need.

Also make sure your hands aren't too cold or hot!

Becky.

--

One Photo Per Album Please :)

Try to post topics in the appropriate section, and please use appropriate titles. "Please help" is not a very informative title. Specify the problem in the title.

Hope you enjoy the site!

014.JPG

January 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ste

@Hamster Bex,  I always thought if your hands smelled of food the hamster would try and nibble your fingers, am I wrong in thinking this?

March 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tigger & Sam

No Ste your right i would stick to run your hands through wood shavings. My training tip is to hold them against a side of the tank if you have one. Give them enough room to wiggle around alil but don't let them jump right out either. Once they calm down try and cradle tehm in your hand and that is how I got to my hamster just sitting in my hand as of today!

--

~Sean ~

:):)

March 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitedog

ste you are correct as my hamsters munchie and cookie nibble my fingers so the food part i wuld say no to on my own experiance holding a treat in your hand and letting them eat it from your hand is a very good start

--

Cookie + Munchie(proud parent of 6-4=2)

Making a Dedicated site on Gerbils but could do with some Gerbil Fans help if you would like to help email me at

[email protected]

or join the Forum

http://gerbils.whostas.com/mybb/index.php

March 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

OK, here are some tips. First of all, take care not to frighten your hamster. They are easily frightened and loud noises scare them. Put your hand in the cage for a few minutes everyday. It's a good sign when your hamster sniffs it.

When your hamster comes back to sniff again after he smells it the first time, you can start petting him. Put him in the bathtub and try to scoop him up by putting both hands on either side of him, and lifting him carefully.

Buy your hamster a ball. This seems to calm them a bit. Also buy a pair of gloves so you can make sure your hamster does not bite. After this abandon the gloves unless a strange person comes and tries to hold your hamster.

Put a treat in your hand, and coax your hamster into it. Do not pick up your hamster whenever he is eating.

Remember to always wash your hands before and after handling a Roborovski hamster.

I hope this post helps whoever needs it!

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
April 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

schar12

Set your hand in the cage and let them get use to your scent. Also, if they are new, let them get used to the new cage, so don't handle them for a couple days.

August 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kwik

Maybe I'm being a little impatient, but how long does this genereally take for them to be tammed? I've had my robos since the 7th of this month, and they are at the point where they will sniff my hand and eat treats from my fingers.

The smallest one bites my finger sometimes but in curiosity, the medium sized one has eaten a treat out of my hand once, and the biggest one has let me pet her on the head twice.

I spend at least 10 mins everyday slowly showing them I'm there and that I'm not someone to fear. And its either at midnight when everyone is sleeping or in the middle of the day when everyone is at work so its quiet.

I just want to be able to hold them like so many other people on this site do :/

--

~Kwik~

*Use the Search Feature on the site to get results quickly!*

August 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cazy888

Hi all,

A friend of mine has recently passed on his 2 Roborovskis (6 months old) to me as he has moved into a house where he can't keep pets. He has tamed them very well so that they don't bite (except for trying to nibble my nails which they prob think are food!) but I think they may be scared of me, because he said they're fine to be handled and they just sit in your hands, but everytime I manage to get them into my hands they try and make a run for it which proves difficult. I've only had them for 6 days myself now, do you think it is literally just a case that they are not used to my scent?

I've got to clean them out and I'm worried I won't get them out because they scamper away from me! Anyway, do you reckon if I follow the above steps that have been recommended they'll get used to me? I just want to be able to hold them like the above poster does.

Caz

October 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gabbagabbawill

I think that all the above advice is great.  

Another bit of advice I can recommend is patience!  Go Slow.  :) I know it's difficult because the first thing you want to do is play with the new little guy, but you're better off going at their pace.

I think the best thing to do is get them to calmly sit in your hand.  They will not want you to pet them at first, so don't even try.  Just get them to sit there without trying to run away.  If they are not cooperative at first, put them back in their home or a ball to blow off some steam and try again a little while later.

Keep trying, but just be patient and try to make progress in very small steps.

November 20, 2010 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryou<3

Just to say, Be gentle with your hamster. If you have your hamster in your hamster in a living room or where people are. Try not to shout or scream. Dont bang your feet on the floor or make any loud noises this will scare your hamster and will make him/her frightened of you. If your trying to tame or havent had your hammy for long just keep the noise down. I'am not saying dont go by your hammy or talk to him/her. Just be gentle :)

April 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BestBudz

yeah like everyone says just be patient and gentle when you go in for holding them. Also, an easy way to pick them up is the wave method so just slowly curve your hand on top of your robo/hamster and then use the other hand to pick it up...

Hope I helped

Jacob

--

I will forever love Frank & Charlie

May 11, 2011 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claudia

My hamster is used to me stroking her and she is okay with that, she doesnt get scared of jump, but its really weird because when i put my hand near her for her to smell me and not be surprised that someone is suddenly touching her, she tries to bite me. But when i give her a treat and stroke her very softly, she doesnt care and than after that she doesnt really care anymore but than if i come back the next day and do that, she tries to bite me again. Hahas maybe Bethy is really smart and is only doing this so she gets treats, that sneaky fellow~! Okay, so anyways unless i give her a treat, she is always trying to bite me, did i do something wrong?

--

BBBBBBETHYYYYYY

MY SWEET BABY<3!!

June 16, 2011 at 11:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mediumcool
Sounds like like your hammy's got you trained Claudia. lol
June 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claudia

Lmao, yup, she is really something , lols

--

BBBBBBETHYYYYYY

MY SWEET BABY<3!!

July 1, 2011 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamWantsHamsters

always check is the hamsters tail is dry, to make sure it has not aquired wet tail, a common killer

January 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SamWantsHamsters

when handling a robo, try and cup the like you would do with a bird, to let it calm down stop it from running and them once you LIGHTLY release it, it will just sit in your hands

January 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ryan

Hi all, I haven't gotten my robo yet, but I wil lin about 2 days. I came up with this strategy, please tell me if this is a good strategy, if not please reccomend 1!

so first take a treat in my hand and rub it on part of my hand where it's not easy to bite, then hide the treat in my fingers and put my hand in. then if they sniff it and come on to my hand, I'll open up my fingers and let him eat it. when he's done (or before) I will do something like snap my fingers, so that way he expects a treat when fingers are snapped. then I will either gently stroke him or hold him (or both). and after a while if I put my hand in there and snap my fingers, he'll sprint over to my hand :D does anybody think this wil work? or should I edit it or not use this at all?

January 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.