Forums

Forum Home > Reviews & Homemade projects > Sticky: Great traps & tips for escaped hamsters

Dukeslady

As we all seem to get a few "escapees", I think  a forum topic with the best tips on recapturing would be a good idea.

To make it easy for everyone to read and understand, if the answer you were going to put is already posted don't put it in again, that way tips can be read easily and quickly, as sometimes,  time is important in recapturing and knowing what best to do.

Hope this will help someone in the future.

--

Do some research before you buy any pet !

Use the Search Feature on site to get results quickly ! 

Also please follow the sites "one photo per album" rule.

January 3, 2010 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

I think this is a great idea, rather than there being many topic's about the same thing, It would be much easier if people with escaped hammies could just come to 1, simple topic. 

I'll start off with the Bucket scheme:

In the room the robo/s are in, place a bucket in there. Then, fill the bottom of the bucket with bedding and add a supply of their food along with some highly smelling food such as cabbage. It's also a good idea to fill a small bowl of water and put that in the bucket as robos have a natural draw to water. Then, add books or anything that a robo would be able to climb up-Making stairs up to the top of the bucket.....Then, the robos will be able to get in-But not get out-So they will be within the bucket-Safe waiting to be taken back to their cage.

I hope I helped, Speak soon, James. :)

--

Robo Love...:)     Moderator...:)

January 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky 22

Hopefully this topic will be very useful in the future!

To add to James' point: Ice-Cream boxes are lower and can be used as well.

Another way of recapturing them is to:

Place tunnels around the areas you think the hamsters are in and put food inside them. Do not scatter food near to the tunnels and concentrate it inside. This involves waiting for the hamster to run into the tunnel so you can scoop them up. This only works if you know where the hamster is and that they are awake! Also, don't put out food for a few hours after they've escaped so they will get hungry and come out - if you put food out immediately they'll hoard it and might not come out again for another few hours. Roborovski's will look for water and stay near it!

Not an immediately effective way but it sometimes works :) 

--

One Photo Per Album Please :)

Try to post topics in the appropriate section, and please use appropriate titles. "Please help" is not a very informative title. Specify the problem in the title.

Hope you enjoy the site!

014.JPG

January 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dukeslady

any more ideas ?

--

January 4, 2010 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

Another Idea could be, as long as you only have 1 robo (so there is no robo left in the cage):

You could leave the cage open on the floor-Hoping that eventually your robo will go in. Check it every few minutes to see if your robo is in.

I've tried this quite a few times with Joe, and pretty much every time, I've found him snuggled up in bed. However, this Isn't the best method as, if your robo goes in, there's still always a good chance that your robo could leave again!

Speak soon, James. 

--

Robo Love...:)     Moderator...:)

January 4, 2010 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Becky 22

Everyone has a horribly, loud squeaky wheel they either bought by accident/got free wtih a cage, etc. Put this down over night and it's likely that the noise will wake you up. Create a fence or pen around the wheel with one opening, creep downstairs and close the opening. This method depends entirely on how easily you get woken up and how confidently the rest of the household understands that you are doing this for the good of the hamster.

(Also scatter food around the wheel.)

This worked with a gerbil - not sure if it's the same for a hamster this but give it a try!

--

One Photo Per Album Please :)

Try to post topics in the appropriate section, and please use appropriate titles. "Please help" is not a very informative title. Specify the problem in the title.

Hope you enjoy the site!

014.JPG

January 4, 2010 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Emma & Elizabeth

Hi,

First, look in dark areas like under the bed or in the closet. Second, scater food around areas of the house and check frequently. Third Try the bucket scheme! ( as listed by James) Tips- If you are sure the hamster is in the certant room block the exit and search carfully! Block or watch all exits out of the house! Try not to move things around, if you have to be careful becuase you might squish your hamster. Try not to be loud when searching, you might scare the hamster away!

Hope I contributed! :)

--

Emma + Elizabeth

January 9, 2010 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

iluvKumquat

My hamster Kumquat was lost once... this is what got her out!

If you have another hamster and a ball, put the hamster in the ball and let it run... most likely it can sniff out your other hammie! Then once you spot the escapee, watch where it goes (this will most likely be behind a shelf or another object). Block off all exits, then gently nudge the hamster out (it will usually run forward - make sure it doesn't go backward or actually under the shelf or object, though) and scoop it up.

Hope this helps!

CIAO!

--

♪ Kumquat 'n' Kiwi luvs ya ♪

<www.sadiesparky.webs.com>

January 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

iluvKumquat

Also, for those who have another hamster

Leave a familiar-smelling shelter along with food, a wheel and water in a box full of shavings (if no cage is handy, i.e. if you have another hamster that needs it)! The hammie will go to the familiar smell, preferring it over the strangeness of the rest of the house.

If you have another hamster, CLEAN THE CAGE before putting them back together!! Being lost stresses a hamster out and it will sometimes fight with its cagemate to vent its feelings. Cleaning the cage creates neutral territory for the hammies to meet each other again! 

CIAO!

--

♪ Kumquat 'n' Kiwi luvs ya ♪

<www.sadiesparky.webs.com>

January 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dukeslady

great ideas, hope this will help someone !

--

January 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hammyluvr4evr

I have another way!

If your hamster has a cag mate, this will work very well. Get a hamster harness, or make one, and put the lost hamster's cage mate into the harness.Walk around with the harnessed hamster, and if your hamster finds the other hamster, it will stay there and try to reach the other hamster. OR. You can get a paper towel, and put a glob of peanut butter on there. It works for me everytime. OR. you can leave the hamster for a few minutes, and stay very quiet. watch carefully for the hamster, and if you wait long enough, you might hear it chewing on something!!

hope that helps...

--

-Sonia

" Everytime you use the word 'alright',  God pokes a hamster in the butt. So next time you're about to use the word 'alright', think of the hammies first." - Un Known

<3 Lola, Fluffy, Pippy.

R.I.P- Princess, Izzy, Allie

Live for now, love for now, and give life later.

I am me, you are you, and that dude is that dude.

If you love somthing, let it loose. If it comes back, keep it. If it doesnt.. IT SUCKS!

(but don't let your hammy loose outside!)

Bosses are always on ur a$$, and always full of...

January 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ham

iluvKumquat at 10:08PM on Jan 09, 2010

My hamster Kumquat was lost once... this is what got her out!

If you have another hamster and a ball, put the hamster in the ball and let it run... most likely it can sniff out your other hammie! Then once you spot the escapee, watch where it goes (this will most likely be behind a shelf or another object). Block off all exits, then gently nudge the hamster out (it will usually run forward - make sure it doesn't go backward or actually under the shelf or object, though) and scoop it up.

Hope this helps!

CIAO!

That sounds clever! I sorta have an idea that is a lot like that. But this only works if you're planning to catch your hamster right away when he/she escaped and he/she is underneath something.(And you're watching).

When they are cover the sides/openings to keep her/him to prevent your hamster from escaping. Do this carefully, not suddenly, but swiftly. (Little confusing lol). Than leave a small but big enough opening to stick a toilet paper roll in. When he/she eventually climbs into the tube, immediately get the tube and cover both sides or whatever it takes to hold her/him. Than carry him/her back to their home! :) Or if you want to immediately put him/her into their home, just put the other end of the tube into their home. Remember! This only works if you're monitoring this. Otherwise, your hamster will most likely climb out!

I have not tried this method, because I have only had one escapee and we got him back right away thanks to my dad's quick hands. Only if you have very quick hands and keen eye sight- then perhaps you'll be able to get him/her right away (well very quickly at least) after the escape. Getting a hamster back into his/her cage is a challenge, and in some cases, hamster owners don't get to see their hamster after that ever again! I suppose that this method isn't AT ALL as good as the others, which I thought were impressive, but if you trust this, PLEASE tell me if you used this method and it worked. But I suggest you don't stick with this one. When my hamster escaped, he zoomed from under various couches when I approached him.

One more thing (Yes I know this is very long). If you have a crittertrail cage, DO NOT use the "petting zone" at all unless it's in a deep box or if your hamster is very tame. They will most likely escape since it isn't very deep and depending on how high you hold the lid. I have opened it once to get out the tube, and one of my hamsters immediately jumped out. This happened many times. If this happens, immediately scoop him/her up. One jumped from all the way from a table to the floor and I immediately covered him with my hands. Please do not open this "petting zone". Otherwise, your hamster will most likely escape.

I hope this long boring message helps. Thanks for reading this WHOLE MESSAGE! Sayonora!

--

~Ham, Oxnard, & Dumbledore

January 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hannah Jones
Site Owner

Those are great tips!

I just thought of this one:

If your Robo (or any dwarf hamster) has escaped, buy one (or a couple) of these nifty mouse traps:

They look quite scary, but they do the trick. They work like this - you spread a bit of bait on the removable lid at the far side of the slope (peanut butter is the best), set the trap in this position in the corner of a room, the Robo climbs in, tips the trap over because of the weight, and the door slams shut. And you have your escaped hamster! Now just release him in his cage, unharmed!

(I recently had problems with mice in the shed but couldn't bare to kill them, and these did the trick. I only just thought these could help people with escaped hammies!).

Here are the full official instructions on the pack:

And a link to where to buy these: http://bit.ly/cUJgeB

--

Nom...   Check...    The Store! > 

March 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

whitedog

ok so my little escape stuntwomen cookie escaped while i was putting her and munchie back in the cage after cleaning the crittertrail x out i placed them in the petting/bedding area without holding them i just tilted the other cage tray so they would not be scared.  then cookie jumps out and then jumps 4ft to the floor and LIVES! no injury as what ever she then goes under the cooker....

so my dad goes and gets the net he used for his fish (they cost about £5 max!) and when cookie came out my dad quickly caught her it was easy and less stressful for me and the hamster

it is a highly reccomended BUY as it helps loads if you lose one

--

Cookie + Munchie(proud parent of 6-4=2)

Making a Dedicated site on Gerbils but could do with some Gerbil Fans help if you would like to help email me at

[email protected]

or join the Forum

http://gerbils.whostas.com/mybb/index.php

March 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeannot Maha'a

I've been keeping Roborovski's hamsters for about three years and have had two escapes. In both cases I've used a boot, lain on it's side, only the floor, and set closely against a wall. I then chased the hamster along the wall and he ran directly into the boot from which he was easily collected.

--
April 10, 2010 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bear Ra!

I had a Bear hamster...she escaped quite a bit and this is how I found her:

(this will only work if you had the door shut and a semi-clean room!!)

*Make sure it is truly missing...I went crazy over a mouse whom I thought escaped but she was in her cage all along.

Look under all beds, benches, cabinets, desks, ect...and behind everything. If you don't find your hammy, good luck XD

Another way is to build a trap using a pizza box. You get a stick, tie some food to it, prop the lid up with the stick, and when the hammy gets the food the stick will fall and the lid will fall shut... :P

That's all I got. Have fun catching your hammy! :D

--

Toby & Mystery <3 my beloved Chinese hamstermice!

R.I.P Speedy, Sunny, Cloud, Soot, Wowii, Splash, Sappy, Chip, Harry. <3 We'll love you always!

April 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sugar

My friend got a robo hamster and she lost her's. She told me that she open a cage door and filled it with food and water and the wheel. The next day she found it in the cage all snuggled up.Also, if you don't have a cage, you should get large books (dictionaries) and stack them up like stairs or just use a tunnel and leave a trail of food there.

June 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

LOL, good ideas everyone!

Well here a couple of my methods: You can always use the good old fashioned 'catch 'em with your hand' trick. This doesn't always work though... It's often rather hard to catch them without dropping them, which can result in death or extreme injury... Another is, I'm sure a lot of you have cats, and it would be awfully tragic if your hamster became a meal for your cat. To prevent this: Make sure your hamster is in another room than your cats, and put the cats in a room, and shut the door. Since a Roborovski can and will go under the door, put blocks or books under the crack between the carpet and the door.

You can also put your cage (or tank) in the middle of the floor. Hamsters are naturally attracted to their cages. (mine anyway) You can lead a trail of sunflower seeds (or your hamster's favorite foods) to the cage, if they don't naturally go there.

Sometimes (always for me!) you just have to get lucky...

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
June 12, 2010 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

*Stephany-Diamond*

Okay well, I had this happen. My cat knocked the whole cage on the floor in the middle of the night, my husband and I found it the next morning. We moved couches, tables, bookshelves, couldn't find them anywhere. So my mother in law gets this grand idea that I sould let the cats find them... I freaked out on them, there was no way I was going to let the cats eat my hammies. She calmed me down and said "just let the cats out of the bathroom and follow them". So I did... My cat found both of them in ten minutes and didn't even come close to trying to hurt them. I was so thankful, for the awkward but completely helpful advice of my mother in law.

June 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Piparazzi

*Stephany-Diamond* at June 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Okay well, I had this happen. My cat knocked the whole cage on the floor in the middle of the night, my husband and I found it the next morning. We moved couches, tables, bookshelves, couldn't find them anywhere. So my mother in law gets this grand idea that I sould let the cats find them... I freaked out on them, there was no way I was going to let the cats eat my hammies. She calmed me down and said "just let the cats out of the bathroom and follow them". So I did... My cat found both of them in ten minutes and didn't even come close to trying to hurt them. I was so thankful, for the awkward but completely helpful advice of my mother in law.

That's EXACTLY what my cats did! Very scary, right? (thankfully we found out in the middle of the night)

It probably wouldn't be the greatest idea to let the cats find the lost hamster. It was good and lucky for you, but some cats will pounce before you can catch them. Well, to each their own way, I guess...

--
PIPARAZZI
My hamsters are named Eskimo, Billie, and Beatrice
June 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.