Forums

Forum Home > General hamster questions > Robo's Life Expectancy?

James

Hi everyone.

I just thought of a question which I have really wanted to know the answer for some time. I have heard different answers everywhere! I want to know: how long do robo's actually live, I'd prefer it if people that have had robo's in the past which have sadly died-so i know what age they live at. I got a book on dwarf hamsters and it said something like 12-18 months but then on this site, it says 2-3 years though 4 in some cases so I'm very confused! I'd be very thankful if someone could help me! Speak soon, James! :)

--

Robo Love...:)     Moderator...:)

September 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

LolllyBix

i heard it was about 3 1/2 years everywhere i've looked at. :D

September 25, 2009 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James

Hi, 3 and a half years seems a very long time-I doubt they all live that long, but i do know it has happened! I'm very thankful for the help :) I'm sure syrian's live quite a bit longer than robo's and I had syrian's when I was young and they only lived to about 2. I would love it if they all lived to about 3 & a half years but I am worried that, that is the top end for only a few! So if anyone has had robo's in the passed which have sadly died of old age and nothing else, what age did they live to? Thank you for your help, Speak soon, James!

--

September 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James

I've had Joe just over 6 months and he was about 6 weeks old when I got him. I'm just really worried after reading a dwarf hamster book from Pets at Home saying they only lived 12-18 months! Speak soon, James.

--

September 26, 2009 at 5:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mobles
i am reading this AMAZING book on hamsters called A Quick-N-Easy Guide To Keeping A Hamster. Theres lots of books in the Quick-N-Easy Guide series for all different pets but this book contains everything you need 2 know about hamsters and dwarf hamsters. It says in here that hamsters live for roughly 2 years but some hamsters may live longer than others.:tongue::cool:
September 26, 2009 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

Hi Mobles, what does it say the age robo's live to is in the book? Speak soon, James.

--

September 26, 2009 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OakFarmRoborovskis

Hiya,

Sadly, because Syrians have been kept as pets for a lot longer than Robos, some Syrians have been inbred and badly bred by bad breeders, and because of this they now have a lower overall life expectancy - this is more usually with pet shop syrians who are not bred to better the breed, but only bred to make money.  Pet Shop hamsters usually have a lot lower life expectancy than hamsters from breeders.

most pet shop syrian hamsters live from between 18 months to 30 months - but there are pet shop hamsters who live less than this, and there are hamsters who live longer than this!  My pet shop syrian died a couple of days ago after reaching nearly 3 and a half years!!

10 or 20 years ago Syrian hamsters were reported to live a lot longer than they do now - sometimes up to 4 years, where as now, 3 years is a very good age for a syrian - breeder or pet shop!!

I know you asked about robo life expectancy, but i just think it is relevant to add info regarding syrian hamsters, and how their life expectancy has been shortened due to bad breeding!

Robo hamsters have not been bred in captivity for very long at all, especially compared to syrians, so it is hard to tell at the moment what is normal or average for them.  I have had robos live until over 3 years old, and i know if other breeders who have experienced this too.  Of course there are also some robos who die at 3 months for no apparent reason, and those that live only 18 months or two years.

Once important factor to remember is that all owners keep their hamsters very different - and although most owners keep them very well, there is always the occasions  when a water bottle gets blocked and maybe a hamster dies due to no water, or they get fed a poisonous food by accident which causes them to die early - if the food was not detected then the owner might think that the hamster dies of natural causes.

What i am trying to explain is that any hamsters life expectancy really depends on how they are kept, what they are fed on, how healthy they are etc.  Tumours, illness, poison, water and food availability and quality, are all very important factors in how long a hamster will live.

Personally, i think that, if by chance, all of the above things are perfect - and the line the hamster comes from is very healthy and free from defects, illness, cancer, tumours etc. then a hamster can live a very long, healthy and happy life - maybe up till 3 and a half or 4 years old!!

I also think that breeding from hamsters with unknown backgrounds - i.e. pet shop hamsters - can and will cause future generations to have shorter life expectancys!!!  This is why i am so set on preventing people from breeding from robos with unknown backgrouns - especially if there are other options!!

Sorry this has turned into such a long post, but i think it is all very relevant to the original question :)

Tammy x

--

UK Breeder and Keeper of Pedigree Roborovski Hamsters

Please feel free to visit my Website: http://oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/robo/main.html

September 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

James

Hi Tammy, thank you for such a long and detailed post-At first, I mentioned about me having 2 syrians when I was younger and they only lived to be 2 but I think I edited that bit out. I understand exactly what you mean about robo's and all the problems they could face during their lives. I will obviously always try to protect my robo's, but I will just have to see what happens in life! Anything could be around the corner and I might aswell use every day wisely. If I ever breed in the future, I wont get them from Pet Shops, I said the  next time I get robo's, I will get pedigree robo's. Anyway, Thank you again for all your help. Speak soon, Take care, James.

--

September 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

samham

My husband's robo lived to about 1 year and 8 months. All my syrians have died at about 1 year sady... But MY robo Nugget is only 3 months old and very healthy. I think it all depends on as was mentioned how they are kept, but also what genetics they have. Some can be naturally prone to things. So don't blame yourself if something does happen. xo to all hamster lovers!

September 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kyle

My first syrian/teddy lived for 4 years, but then he escaped.

--

September 26, 2009 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kdanielle22

I had my hamster, nugget, only 13 months. He was very healthy and active and was always running on his wheel. two nights ago i went to feed him at bedtime like i normally do, and he was in his food bowl and couldnt walk..i had to feed him soft fruit by hand and that got him up and moving but the next morning i woke up early to check on him and he had died sometime in the night. I have no clue what happened or why...he had never been sick or anything like that before not even the night before i found him like that......can anyone help me to know what could of happened?

January 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Artcele

In the cases that I've read, people's hamsters die sometime between the first and the second year. I don't think I've read anything about someone's robo living longer than two years. I know the site says two to three years, but that is unlikely. Your hamster must be really, really healthy to live that long. Hope this helped :)

--

ι ♥ му яσвσ нαмѕтєя!

January 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robo73

Hi James

My robo Sergei died just before Christmas. I'd had him for 2 years and 1 month (and he was only a baby when I got him) so I would guess he was perhaps 2 years and 3 months maybe? About 3 months before he died he had a lump which the vet was unable to diagnose (she said they would have to stick a needle in it and to do that he had to be sedated. Due to his age, it wasn't safe to sedate him) Anyway, the lump did disappear after a few weeks so presumably it was nothing sinister and he appeared to die purely of old age.

You could tell by his appearance that he was an old hamster. His fur gradually turned very grey and thin and although he still ate normally, he became thinner than he had been as a young boy! As time went on, he became visibly slower and instead of running on his wheel for hours, he'd have a walk for a few minutes before going back to bed. In the last couple of months of his life, I had to make some adjustments to his cage to make it easier for him to get to his water etc. At the very, very end, he just slept alot. He didn't seem to be in any pain so it was a case of just keeping him as comfortable as possible and he died peacefully in his sleep.

I felt very lucky to have had him for so long. When I took him to the vet with the lump she said that anything over 2 years is classed as "old" but commented on how lively he was.

Hope that helps!

February 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Robo_Gurl

robo73, thank you for that post! My beloved Twinkie just passed away, and she was roughly two years old. In the end, she was showing the same signs of age as Sergi: not running on her wheel, but rather, walking, sleeping alot, and just looking "older."

--

I'm a http://roborovskihamsters.webs.com Moderator! If you need help, or have a question, feel free to contact me! :)

February 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.