Forums

Forum Home > General hamster questions > my hamster

Hammie2Hammie
Hello, this is my first post! I have a question... Whenever I walk by my hamster's cage, she always crawls up the bars and look at me. She has been doing this for a few weeks. Does anybody know why?
January 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lychee

It could be because she knows you have treats or something.  Or maybe she's bored.  May I ask how big your cage is?  It could be that she doesn't have anything better to do other than stick her head through the bars.

Hamsters need at least 360 square inches of floor space to run around in, preferrably more.  Also, make sure the wheel is solid and is large enough that your hamster doesn't have to arch her back in order to run in it.  And make sure she has plenty of chews and toys to keep her busy. :)

--

-Lychee

R.I.P. Lychee

Not close but not far, at the stroke of twilight,

You were my little star, shining bright with your light.

And when the sun rose, you never disappeared,

For in my heart, you will always be near.

Please, make it only one photo per album. ;)

January 15, 2015 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hammyhappy

as Lynchee said, the cage must be at least 360 sq. in. but 460 sq. in. is a much better size to shoot for.  If the cage is the right size and he still climbs then it is not unusual behavior.  My hamsters always used to love to climb on things, no matter if it was my arm, the water bottle, anything.  He might be just an entergectic hamster.  :)

--

HAMMYHAPPY

January 30, 2015 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.